A Learner’s Licence is essential for obtaining a Permanent Licence in India. The eligibility for obtaining a Learner’s Licence for a private motor vehicle for a vehicle of 50 CC engine capacity and without any gear, is 16 years (if the applicant’s parents or guardians give their consent). The minimum age to apply for a permanent licence to drive a private motor vehicle is 18 years.
For obtaining a Learner’s Licence, you will need to apply in the prescribed format to the Local Transport Office in your region along with your passport-sized photographs, proof of your age and residence, declaration of medical fitness and the required fee. After verification of your documents, you will have to go through the Learner’s Test. Usually a handbook of traffic rules, signs and regulations is provided with the application form. On passing the Learner’s Test, you will be issued a Learner’s Licence. If you fail the test, you will be given a chance to take the test again.
Or either you can apply online for Learner and Permanent Driving Licence, you can follow the below steps to apply for Online License.
How to Apply Online for Driving Licence?
In order to make driving license easy, the ministry of road transport & highways authority developed an online portal named ‘Sarathi Service‘. With the help of this portal, you can submit an online application form for making a driving license. Just follow the below given steps and read the instruction before apply online.
- Step 1: Visit the Sarathi website and select the state from the drop down menu.
- Step 2: In the next step, you need to select the appropriate category weather you are a Diplomat (Foreigner) / Repatriate / Refugees / Foreigners (But not Diplomats) / Ex-Servicemen / Physically Challenged.
- Step 3: For fresh application, select the applicant does not hold Driving/ Learner Licence option and leave the default as.
- Step 4: Based on the selected options and category, you have to fill the online application form for the Learner license and complete the pending steps like Upload Documents, Upload Photo, and Signature, LL Test Slot Booking, Payment of Fee.
- Step 5: After completing the above process note down the application number which is generated online and wait for the application approval.
- Step 6: Use the application number and date of birth to check the Status.
- Step 7: After approval of the application visit the RTO office with the slip for pending formalities and tests.
For Permanent Licence, you must have a valid Learner’s Licence, and must apply after 30 days and within 180 days of issue of the Learner’s Licence. You should be conversant about vehicle systems, driving, traffic rules regulations. You will be put through a driving test, for which you must bring a vehicle with you. On passing the test, you will be issued a Permanent Driving Licence.